What information should I get at the scene of the accident?

You should always obtain the following information before leaving the scene of a car accident:

  • The name, address, phone number, license plate number, driver’s license number, vehicle registration, and insurance information for all other drivers involved in the accident
  • The name and contact information for any passengers in the other vehicles
  • Name and contact information for any witnesses at the scene
  • Photographs of any damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, and the accident scene

To learn more about the information you need to obtain at the accident scene, please read our What to Do after a Car Accidentpage.

Should I call the police after a car accident?

Yes. You should contact the police while you are still at the scene of the accident. Request that an officer be sent to the scene to fill out an accident report. This will help ensure that all evidence is documented at the time of the car accident. If the police report indicates that the other driver was at fault, it will provide strong evidence in your favor if you need to file a car accident claim.

When the police ask you questions about the car accident, answer truthfully, but do not admit fault.

Should I inform my insurance company of the car accident?

Yes. You are required to notify your insurance company of the car accident within a reasonable time period. Failure to do so may result in the loss of coverage for the accident. As with the police, answer truthfully, but do not admit fault. Before offering to give a written or recorded statement to your insurance company, we recommend that you consult an attorney to ensure that your statement isn’t used against you to limit the amount of money your insurance company must pay on your claim.

While you are required to inform your insurance company, you do not have to inform the other driver’s insurance company. You should never make a statement to the other driver’s insurance company without consulting a lawyer first.

What if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?

The best way to protect your rights in the event of a car accident with an uninsured motorist is to carry uninsured motorist coverage. If you have this coverage, your insurance company will cover your medical bills and property damage up to the limits of the terms of your policy. We recommend getting the highest allowable uninsured motorist coverage possible to safeguard against serious car accident injuries.

Do I need to contact a lawyer?

If you have only sustained minor property damage to your vehicle and no one was injured, then you most likely do not need a lawyer to settle your case. However, if you have been injured or sustained significant property damage to your vehicle, then it is a good idea to seek the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer. The sooner you hire a lawyer, the better. By acting fast, your lawyer can begin building your case while the evidence is still fresh and witnesses have an accurate memory of the car accident.

Please contact Luhrsen Law Group today to schedule your free initialcar accident consultation. We serve clients throughout the Sarasota and Bradenton, Florida area.